Thursday, February 17, 2011

Why Your Dog Eats Grass

I've seen many dog owners yell at their dog to stop eating grass. Animals have much more attuned instinct than we have so the dog knows what it's doing. Often dogs are medicating a digestive problem, maybe constipation or possibly causing loose stool in order to rid the intestine of some pathogen or indigestible mater. Sometimes they may just need the nutrients, consider the grass comparable to a human vitamin drink.

My dog tries to eat grass when she feels like she's choking on something. This is how I discovered this-I have guinea pigs who eat hay so hay is almost always floating around. When she would start gagging, she would desperately search out and chomp the hay. My daughter brilliantly observed-"she needs to eat grass". Ever since then if she gaggs I take her out and she grazes for a bit and is then OK. Some dogs are just gaggers, or tend to eat stupid things, so try this next time your dog gets something stuck in her throat. Of course if the situation is dire, go to the hospital ASAP. For minor infractions, grazing is a wonderful remedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment